How to obtain and check status of national identity card online, Note: NIN enrollment and your NIN are free, and NICM is currently not recruiting. Visit the National Identity Management Commission NIMC for more details also beware of fake and unauthorized apps collecting your NINs.
NIMC operates and regulates matters of national identity in Nigeria with services covering National Identification Number (NIN) enrolment and issuance,
National e-ID card issuance, identity verification as well as data harmonization and authentication, and the Commission is headed by Engr. Aliyu A. Aziz.
How to Obtain the National Identity Card
There are four major steps/procedures to enroll for the NIMC, the first procedure:
- The Pre Enrollment
- The Main Enrollment Process
- Registration at Enrollment Center
- NIMC Mobile App
National Identification Pre Enrollment Procedure via Website
How to obtain and check the status of a national identity card online, the pre-enrollment helps facilitate the enrollment process at the National Identification Management Commission (NIMC) center.
You may as well skip this procedure and go straight but that would imply spending more time than necessary and you can do all of this provided you have a computer and a printer.
- Fill up the pre-enrolment form online, download and print Pre Enrolment Slip
- Fill out the NIMC Pre Enrolment online form by visiting Pre Enrolment Portal
- All the mandatory fields need to be completely filled with correct information.
- Download and print your Pre Enrolment Slip (Preview)
- Submit Your Application
- Walk into the nearest NIMC Registration Centre with any one of the following Original and Valid supporting documents.
- At the Enrollment Center, you will be directed to a counter where the Enrolment Officer will verify the presence and compliance of all details of your application.
- If your application is in order, the Enrollment officer will guide you to proceed with the capture of biometrics (ten fingerprints and facial images) and you will collect the Transaction ID Slip as evidence of the transaction.
Be aware that applicants who cannot read nor write should be accompanied by a literate individual who can do the form filling for him/her.
Minor applicants should be accompanied by parents/guardians who can do the form filling for them, minor applicants should only bring the original and valid birth certificate and NIN slip of one of the Nigerian Parents / Guardian.
- NIN issuance
- The normal time frame for issuance of a National Identification Number (NIN) Slip is 2 to 3 working days from the time the biometric details are captured at enrollment centers.
- The issuance of NIN may take longer in certain cases due to the validation of details at NIMC. VFS has no role to play to expedite such cases.
- The Transaction ID Slip is required to be stored carefully by the applicant as it is required to be presented at the time of collection of NIN Slip indicating completion of enrollment
How to obtain and check status of national identity card online
How to obtain and check status of national identity card online the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) has said that a process that allows successful enrollees to request the transfer of their
National e-ID Card to any NIMC Registration and Card Collection Centers of their choice for collection is available at the Commission.
Note: For some people who have received SMS for Card collection but may have changed location from where they initially registered,
they can walk into any NIMC office near them and make a card transfer request by filling out a Card Transfer Form indicating where they want the card to be sent. Now How to obtain and check status of national identity card online:
- Simply Visit the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) website
- Scroll down the home page and click on the e-ID Card Status Portal to check if your card is ready and in an activation center
- Now fill in your first name, last name, and your NIMC check tracking ID and hit the ‘check now’ icon
If your card is ready, you can now head over to an activation center to collect and activate the card.
How to Check Your NIN with USSD Code / All Networks
How to obtain and check status of national id, forgotten your NIN? Don’t remember where you kept your NIN slip, etc.
Don’t worry NIMC’s USSD service enables you to retrieve your NIN conveniently using your mobile phone of any network to check NIN. To use this service, simply go through the following steps:
- Dial *346#
- From the options displayed, select “NIN Retrieval”, by typing in ‘1’, if you are using the same phone number you enrolled with for your NIN
- Follow the steps displayed on your screen and provide the required inputs
- Now using this service attracts an N20 (twenty naira) fee-only (deducted from your phone credit balance).